Friday, August 1, 2008

One of my favorite desserts................

I really really "heart" that Maple Butter Blondie from Applebee's. It's so warm, light, and yummy with the butter sauce and vanilla ice cream. So instead of having to run out to Applebee's just to get this dessert, I decided to try my hand at baking it. The taste was right on the money. It tasted amazing, but there are a few adjustments I like to play around with on this recipe.

I used:
Blondie
1 cup Flour, 1 cup
1 tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Salt
½ cup Sweet butter, softened
½ cup Granulated sugar, 1/2 cup
2/3 cup Packed light brown sugar, 2/3 cup
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts

Maple Butter Sauce
3/4 maple syrup (the real stuff, not the pancake syrup)
1/2 melted butter
3/4 brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla extract to the butter cream. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts.

Spread batter evenly into greased pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out "almost" clean. Let it cool completely

For Maple Butter Sauce, melt butter and syrup. Add brown sugar, stirring until dissolved.



NEXT TIME I MAY TRY:
The blondie at Applebee's is slightly more cakelike than the ones I made. I think that requires a little more egg in the batter. Also, I didn't use any baking soda and I think perhaps that helps it rise a little more.

My blondie is actually more of a caramel color than "blonde" so I'll try and work with the brown sugar/white sugar measurements and see what I come up with.

And lastly, for some reason the maple butter sauce I made isn't that creamy white like Applebee's. I think some white ingredient needs to be added to it but I can't figure it out yet.

No comments: